In this video I am upgrading the OEM front suspension by installing the NIX-22 Öhlins Fork Cartridge Kit (FKS 203) on my 2018 Yamaha YZF-R3. These cartridges features compression damping in the left leg and rebound damping in the right leg. These adjustments and the preload are all done via the top caps.
Based on my weight and riding style, I selected the Öhlins springs with a spring rate of 7.5 N/mm (Öhlins Part number 08428-75). My initial setup is the following:
- Compression adjustment: 8 clicks
- Rebound adjustment: 12 clicks
- Oil level: 130 mm
- Height (amount of chrome above the top triple bracket): 25 mm
- Pre-load: 7mm
For this project, I am using the following tools:
- Jack stands or headlift stand
- Suspension Vise
- Oil Level Tool
- 13mm, 16mm, 17mm, 19mm wrenches
- Pull-up tool (Öhlins Part #: 01765-08)
- Stopper plate (Öhlins part #: 02810-3)
- Wrench and/or Torque wrench
- 8mm long hex key (Allen key)
- 3mm, 5mm and 6mm hex keys
- 14mm, 22mm, 36mm sockets
- T50 Socket
- Ruler or micrometer
- Impact drill may be required
You should also consider the following material:
- Fork Oil Motul Factory Line Light (5W)
- Shop Towels
- Zip ties
- Brake Cleaner
- As I mentioned during the video, it’s also a good idea to buy/download a copy of the Shop Manual for your bike
If you want to compare the various rate of flows of various fork fluids, take a look at this link.
I purchased my kit from Sportbike Track Gear. They offer amazing service and super fast shipping.
Everything else you need should be covered in the video. Enjoy!